FFor those following my Instagram and Facebook posts, you may have noticed comments about a TDY, temporary duty assignment. Never a dull moment with the Grant Gang, Matthew is in Atlanta on an assignment....wasn't it just a year ago that Matthew left for two months in quantico? Why yes it was, almost exactly one year! What does this mean for the crazy crew left behind? Adventures!!!!
Originally Matthew scheduled "vacation", you stay at home moms know why vacation belongs in quotes, for two and half weeks starting July 1 until July 17. During those weeks, we planned a Brandon, ms stop for Fourth of July, a few days for Matthew and I to road trip on a highly coveted kid free tour of Texas while the kids were split along our two families, then time r&r at Gambrell manor.
All that changed! Matthew sacrificed his time off work to take this assignment which will be wonderful career development/experience. I am thankful he is dedicated to his career, I know it is not easy to leave your family (well after the first day or too at least 😉). Matthew started in Atlanta today! All our plans for where the kids will be when are the same, we just came south early and will stay longer. He will be gone until September except for one weekend in August where he will be in omaha for us.
Pros
-family time; living 15+ hours from extended family makes vists infrequent but memorable. This gives my kids time to spend with grandparents, great grandparents and even some with cousins and second cousins.
-Matthew can visit; as long as I stay in the south Matthew can visit us some weekends
-vacation part one; Matthew and I will spend time in Atlanta together scoping out some neighborhoods instead of going to Texas. Matthew will be working all day that week of course...WHAT WILL I DO ALONE!!!????? We will relish the time alone in the evening! Blythe will be spoiled by Mia and papa. Addison and caleb will enjoy some beach fun in the sun with grandma and grandpa.
-vacation part two, the grant Gang goes to Atlanta!!!! We will be staying for a week in Atlanta visiting Matthew. Again, he will be working during the day but I am hoping the kids will enjoy the hotel pool and some other Atlanta sites. This is a grant gang first, like...a real vacation!!! I am kinda nervous, never done anything but visit family during our time off. It will be fun!
Cons
-vacation time off; Matthew gave up his vacation time, we will have to be sure to do something even more exciting later this year. He is in use it or lose it status!
-missing daddy; nothing is the same with the leader of the family gone. Thankfully, the kids better understand his absence this time. They are veterans now.
-first day of school; while I don't think this is a big deal it's worth noting, Matthew will be away for the start of kindergarten. We will have a creative way for him to be included.
-opportunities; this assignment may bring some exciting experience or opportunities
The pros clearly out weigh the cons. I cannot believe we are here. Again. Apart. But, what a difference a year makes. There are new challenges from last year, but overall I feel confident this time, Mostly thanks to supportive and understanding extended family. Maybe not having a newborn helps too 😁.
Here's the theme of our lives ..... Never a dull moment!!!!!
Pretending to sleep 7 hours into the 15.5 hours
Blythe and Addison playing
Fun on the manor
Fun on the manor
Veggie pickin with great grannie







No comments:
Post a Comment