I have a dream. Some people think it is strange, some may even think it is looney but it is still my dream. I would be honored to be a surrogate for someone. A surrogate for one special, loving and godly family. Why? Why oh why would I dream such a dream?
First, I find great joy in pregnancy. Sure there are parts of it that are less enjoyable than others, but that's everything in life right? I love the entire adventure despite the tiredness, aches, pains, weight gain, etc. The kicks, flutters and knowing I am carrying a life outweighs all the rest so quickly. Pregnancy is so unique; nine short months and you know that it will end. Pregnancy always ends, that we know. How can you not love it knowing that? Admittedly I think I have had relatively easy pregnancies---I guess.
Also, I think my body must like being pregnant. Both pregnancies resulted in inductions and even that barely coaxed them out :) And I can hold a big ole baby in there--mine were both almost ten pounds.
I even found enjoyment in the long labors with both my children. This is another thing we know will end. You wont be in labor forever, although it feels like that sometimes!
And most importantly, I have experienced becoming a mommy and it is by far the most wonderful calling of my life. Challenging, especially since I stay at home and live it 24/7, but wonderful. As I said before, with anything good there will always be moments of not AS good. I would consider it a privilege to help someone else in their journey to become a mommy. And I am pro adoption too---this is just another alternative (side note, that's another dream--adoption). What an honor if I could be part of growing someone's family. Wow.
When I share this dream with others I am often asked some like "how can you carry that baby and not 'want' it?" I do not have a crystal ball but I think God equips us and that baby is no way genetically mine. I view it as I am babysitting for 9 months. This special family would be as much a part of it as me!!! It's theirs. Not mine. They are trusting me to care for their baby for those nine sweet months. Perhaps I over simplify.
This maybe one of those things that always stays a dream and that is fine. Yummy In The Tummy Dreams are sometimes intended to be just that, a dream not a reality. But I cannot help but wonder if one day this dream COULD come true. Maybe. Maybe. Call me crazy. I call me a dreamer.
I don't think it is a silly dream. I'd be honored to be a surrogate mother for my sister if she ends up struggling with infertility one day. And she knows this because I told her years ago I would.
ReplyDeleteI think it would be a bit harder personally to do it for a stranger - although you would get paid for your services. I think I'd want to be able to still see that baby grow up even if from a distance.