Friday, May 31, 2013

Cancun: snorkeling

We went snorkeling today. My last snorkeling experience in Hawaii was a tad disappointing--I could not blow the water out of the snorkel when the waves would come over me. Call me a wuss, but I just could not do it. Determined to try again (and succeed), we book a speed boat and snorkeling trip.

After arriving at the wrong marina and getting off at the wrong stop, we arrived just in time to suit up in our life vests and snorkel equipment. Matthew drove us in a small speed boat out of the bay into the Caribbean, following a guide. Speeding through the calm bay I thought "I can drive this thing on the way back". Then we reached the choppy sea. We went airborne more times than I can count; I felt like one of those bobble head dolls bouncing in the boat. Whew, finally...the reef.
Much to our surprise we literally drove our boats out to the middle of sea. Land barely in sight. And we just hopped out of the boats with fins, snorkels, masks and life vests; it was a bit menacing to just be out in the open ocean. It turned out to be a great time, the vest kept us above the water so our snorkels rarely got covered with waves. We saw several bright colored schools of fish, a huge sting ray, barracuda, beautiful coral, trumpet fish, and more!

After an hour it was time to load back in the boats. We sa in the boats all tied together for a while...and then my motion sickness kicked in. YUCK!!!
Needless to say, matthew had to drive the speed boat back. So other than turning a little green it was a beautiful adventure!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment