Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Addison Joy is Seven

Wow.  It has been a long time since I have posted.  I am pretty sure blogging is not a "thing" anymore, but I hope to continue to post from time to time so my kids can read this one day.

Happy 7th Birthday Addison!

Likes:  Reading, being at home, babies, family, sharing a room with her brother, shopkins, her american girl doll (felicity), science, art, pizza, lasagna, chicken salad, fruit, compliments, riding bikes, beanie boos

Dislikes:  Cucumbers, waking up early, being pestered, rushing, getting into trouble, the wind, not sleeping "enough"

When She Grows Up....she wants to be a doctor.  She has said this since she was two and never changed.  Lately she has been saying she wants to be a surgeon specifically :)

School:  Addison is thriving in school; her new school here in Atlanta is a perfect fit for her.  She is challenged through her gifted programming and targeted reading and writing assignments.  Her intense drive for excellence and timely completion of her homework is most impressive.  Summer fever is creeping up and she is ready for a brain break :)

Extracurricular:  Since we moved to the Atlanta area in September, we decided to take our time getting involved in activities.  Caleb and Addison started back at Awana in late January and I cannot believe how quickly they jumped back in and caught up after missing half the year.  Addison has already completed her second year sparks book and is reviewing all the verses again.  Her memory is astounding.  We are on a waiting list to begin piano lessons again, but I fear most of her progress has been lost after being away for almost a year.  She and Caleb are on the same soccer team this spring and while she says she wants to go back to dancing in the fall, she does have quite the knack for it.  Since we moved mid season, we opted to hold off on dance and resume in the Fall if she wanted to return.  We spend most of our time as a family playing games, enjoying the outdoors, and listening to music :)

Coming up:  Having lived in a colder climate for so long, we have not been able to easily reinforce swimming skills.  Beginning in mid May, Addison and Caleb will be on swim team.  The "practices" (aka lessons in the case of our kids) will be 45 minutes, 4 times a week for about 6 weeks.  I am hopeful they will build confidence and the skills necessary for swimming solo.



My Little Joy,

You have no idea how amazing and special you are to me.  Kindness and compassion flow from everything you do.  When Lincoln got his shots several months ago, you teared up and expressed how much it hurt you to see your baby brother in pain.  Whenever anyone is sick/hurt you are always, always there to write them a note, give them an ice pack, bring them some water and offer smiles.

I admire your drive for excellence in all you do.  You consistently give everything your best, even when you do not like it.  Your memory is absolutely astounding and I love watching you use it for things like memorizing scripture and your writing.

Big sistering comes natural for you.  You love on your siblings, lead them, help them and simply enjoy them.  I often take notes from you and stop what I am doing to come cackle with you and the littles.

This year was a big year for you and you really matured tremendously through it.  We added a family member just after your 6th birthday.  You went to Disney World with your Mia and Papa and Caleb as an extra special treat.  We spent a majority of the summer in some kind of crazy between people helping as as we welcomed Lincoln to the family, your annual trip to Mias, a trip BACK to Mississippi so we could find a house in Atlanta, moving to temporary quarters.......etc.  It was NUTS.  This year we moved from Nebraska to Atlanta.  We spent 6-9 very unpleasant weeks in temporary quarters, what you and Caleb and Blythe called "the hotel".  You guys tried so hard to make it pleasant but neighbors below complaining of every step we took made it hard.  We moved into a new home.  We had to start making new friends.  You had to start at a new school this year.  Baby, that was so hard.  I know how challenging it was to be the new kid in class.  I am so sorry for any moment you felt scared or unsure or nervous.  It hurt my heart so deeply to see you struggle those first few weeks.  BUT.  And this is a big BUT.....it was hard for a couple of weeks and you did not like it...BUT....YOU kept your smile.  YOU kept your kindness.  YOU stuck with it.  And YOU, my dear did not just succeed...you shone like a bright beautiful star.

Lastly, I want you to know I am not the only person who notices your kindness and notices how truly special you are.  Just last weekend during your birthday party, a mom had been watching you.  She saw you give away many of your pinata goodies to your empty handed friends and serve cake to everyone at your own party FIRST and meticulously ensure that EVERY party guest felt included (even your 2 year old sister).  She looked over at me....mentioned her observations and said "Kelly, you know Addison is amazing right?  Like really.  She is awesome."  I smiled and said "Thank you.  I sure am glad God gifted us with her".

Forgive me when I lose my temper and raise my voice.  Forgive me when, some days, I just am not enough for you.  Forgive me when I cannot be at your school activities.  Forgive me when there is simply not enough of me to go around.  I am far from a perfect mother.  But my darling, I strive every day and pray every day that I can be a better mother than I was the day before for if we are standing still, we are moving backwards.  So I chose to strive forward.  I am thankful for a forgiving and patient oldest child because GIRL...I am figuring this all out on YOU.  Mommy often messes up but despite my shortcomings I hope you feel so crazy deeply loved and cherished.

Addison.  Addison Joy....you are the gift I could have never dreamed of in my best dreams.  You are amazing.  Simply.  Amazing.

Love,
Mommy







No comments:

Post a Comment