Tuesday, November 17, 2009

House Sale & The Holidays

House: We found out today that I (Kelly) will NOT have to be present for the closing on Wednesday 11/25--This is FANTASTIC!!!! Only one or two more things to do on our end and then we are ready to officially close!!! Hip Hip Hooray!!

The Holidays: I love the Christmas and Thanksgiving time of year, there is nothing I do not enjoy about it. Many people think "Christmas" starts too early now, but I for one welcome the early signs pointing towards the holiday season. Decorations, candy, music, gloves, hats, warm beverages, red cups at Starbucks and nativity scenes all begin to pop up around November 1. It seems as though everyone's attitude change when these subtle reminders of Thanksgiving and Christmas begin to appear. People start to look forward to giving to others (Christmas) and thanking each other (Thanksgiving) making the season pleasant and welcomed change from the ghosts and goblins of Halloween. People also seem more willing to speak to perfect strangers as they wait in line to make their purchases, which brings me to the next reason I love this season!

This is also the time for believers to have extra ammunition to share about Christ. Admittedly, I find it challenging to share with others, but how can I not seize the opportunity to ask someone if they know what the star on the top of the Christmas tree symbolizes? Or share the parallelism between the evergreen Christmas tree and Christ. Or the simple motivation behind why I give gifts at Christmas. [Just to be clear, I give gifts at Christmas as a reminder that Christ was the ultimate gift to mankind from our Heavenly Father. The free gift is eternal life, should we chose to accept it, which I hope you have.] Thanksgiving gives us a chance to say what we are thankful for---and sure I AM incredibly thankful for my wonderful husband, my family, my friends, my health, my Blessing on the way (aka G Penny) and so much more, but why not share with others the gift I am MOST thankful for---my salvation.

So why do we so often roll our eyes when we ear that first Christmas song of the season? Or why do we sigh deeply when we think about all the holiday pounds we will pack on if the holidays begin a month early?

I challenge myself and you, whoever is reading this, to seize this early start to the holiday season to share not sigh.

2 comments:

  1. hey girl! great news about the house :) enjoy your last few days here...
    check out my blog, too!

    www.nt4au.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey for not having to be at closing!

    I'm pumped for the holidays, too! I just don't like listening to the music non-stop, as we discussed ;)

    ReplyDelete