Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pumpkin Pie

I made homemade pumpkin pie for the first time several weeks ago. And when I say homemade, I mean---Pumpkin filling at all. It was fairly simple except for one step: getting all the water out of the pumpkin. That step was only challenging because I did not have the proper equipment (cheese cloth). I used the pumpkin pie recipe (and pie filling) and whipped cream recipe from JoyofBaking.com.

Matthew gave it a 4.25 out of 5 stars; not too shabby!

Pumpkin Filling:
3 large eggs
2 cups fresh pumpkin puree*
1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup (110 grams) light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-9 inch frozen crust

Whipped Cream:
1 cup (240 ml) heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon (15 grams) granulated white sugar

1) Make pumpkin puree
  • Use the smaller pumpkin varieties like Sugar Pie, Baby Bear or Cheese Pumpkin (approximately 5-7 lbs., 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 kg.). I used a Sugar Pie pumpkin
  • Cut the pumpkin in half lengthwise, remove all the seeds and stringy fibers
  • Place cut-side down on a greased baking sheet.
  • Bake at 350 degrees F approximately 45 minutes to 1 1/4 hours (depending on size) or until easily pierced with a knife.
  • Scoop out the pulp and puree in a food processor until smooth.
  • Extract all the liquid, so strain the pumpkin through a cheesecloth lined strainer and then cool the puree before using. ***I did not have a cheesecloth so I used a coffee filter for every 1/2 cup of puree I extracted liquid from**** This took about 15-20 minutes to do.
2) Make the pie filling
  • In a large bowl lightly whisk the eggs. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
  • Pour the mixture into the prepared pie shell (I used a frozen crust) and place on a large baking pan to catch any spills.
  • Bake the pie for about 45 to 55 minutes or until the filling is set and the crust has browned (the center will still look wet; A knife inserted about 1 inch from side of pan will come out almost clean.)
  • Place the baked pie on a wire rack to cool. Serve at room temperature with maple whipped cream. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator
3) Make Whipped Cream
  • Place mixing bowl and wire whisk in freezer before making whipped cream (I used a kitchen aid mixer and it was SUPER easy)
  • In mixing bowl place the whipping cream, vanilla extract, and sugar and beat until the mixture until stiff peaks form.
4) Serve pie at room temperature and make whipped cream just before serving


Easy, easy!!!! Try making your own pumpkin filling!!! It was fun!

Pumpkin I used

After removing seeds and fibers.This takes a while too. Pumpkin fibers are much more difficult than squash fibers, ARG!

After cooking pumpkin, pretty color huh?

Done!

Time to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment