My mom went above and beyond in cooking a fabulous meal for everyone to enjoy. I am certain my tiny kitchen with sub-par equipment was frustrating but she persevered and the result was too delicious to describe. I regret not getting any pictures of the spread but I was busy feeding Caleb when everyone was just digging in and I forgot.
Two very interesting events made this Thanksgiving particularly memorable:
- The Turkey Juice Extraction: Due to my sub-par kitchen equipment, my mother was forced to cook the turkey in a too small and too flimsy pan. As such, when it came time to extract liquid for gravy our CREATIVE juices kicked in. Instantly Matthew and I thought of siphoning the liquid but it was my problem solving husband that figured out HOW to make it happen. So...Matthew took one for the team, burned some taste buds and.....siphoned the turkey juice. It was worth it not only for the amusing video but also because the gravy was delish!
- The Explosion: Just before it was time to dig in, my mother, friend Amber and I were all standing in near the stove when we heard a LOUD explosion. In bewilderment, we all looked at each other and then looked at the oven where the sound was coming from. We opened the oven and what to our wondering eyes should appear----A PYREX GLASS BAKEWARE dish full of dressing exploded!!! There was dressing and glass all over the bottom of the stove!! I have no idea what cause it but it was at least a 30 minute clean up job, not including all the time it took to keep the three little girls we had running around out of the clean up chaos. Luckily, that was one of two dishes of dressing so we did not miss out on this traditional item. So random though.
I am particularly thankful this year....here are just a few things I am thankful for:
- A loving and supportive husband
- Two healthy children (and a relatively easy pregnancy this year)
- A wonderful extended family who has encouraged and supported me/us throughout the pregnancy and birth of Caleb
- A mother who was willing to give up HER thanksgiving to step in and help my family (and cook thanksgiving)
- A mother in law who gave up her life for TWO weeks (including the week we had Caleb) to care for not only Addison but Matthew and I as well
- A sister in law who gladly and without hesitation found alternative childcare for her daughter since I stole her mom for 2 weeks (she watches my niece 3 days a week); I know this was no easy feat I imagine
- Friends who cooked meals for us the past several weeks (this was a bigger blessing than I can explain)
- A wonderful school for Addison filled with loving teachers
- Our home
- Matthew's job
- ....And so much more
New puzzle from Mia
She is saying "SHH" because she is probably tired of me saying "CHEESE"
When she says "cheese" for pictures, this is the face we get.
This is what we call the Daddy Face; she makes this face at him all the time.
This is what we call the Mommy face; she does this just for me :)
Prepping to extract the juice!
It worked!
The kids table; Addison with the two oldest Peacock girls. She thought she was SUCH a big girl sitting with them.
Chowing down!
Caleb, the youngest attendee...dreaming of turkey...maybe next year little guy.
Alyvia Peacock just chilling while we ate.
Catching up on the latest news on Nick Jr. I love it when they sit like this together
Addison pretending to eat while Piper Peacock Actually eats :)
No comments:
Post a Comment