The Stats:
- Birthday: October 27, 2011
- Weight: 9 lbs. 6.7 oz
- Height: 21.25 inches
- Time of Birth: 8:55 PM
- Apgar Score: 9
The Story:
October 27 was quite a crazy day even though we all thought the induction would take a long time---boy were we wrong.
- 5:15 AM: Headed to the hospital...after stopping for some dunkin donuts :) I enjoyed one last fun lil breakfast with my love, Matthew
- 6:00 AM: Arrive at hospital; we had to wait to be checked in because they were short on nurses, yikes!
- 8:00 AM: Got into room and waited for the midwife to give us our plan
- 9:00 AM: First exam revealed I made no progress since the office visit 3 days before. 3 cm dilated and 60% effaced. She decided petocin was the only way, I doubted my ability to go epidural free right away. We started off slow since the plan was to hold off on epidural as long as possible. The midwife just KNEW she would deliver our baby since it was my second one AND the first one was so big; she was convinced it would be fast!
- 10:30 AM - 1:00 PM: Upped the petocin every 15-30 minutes. Very minimal pain to me.
- 2:45 PM: Exam revealed little progress--3-4 cm dilated, 75% effaced and -2 station. She decided to break my water (which was SO weird by the way---my water never broke with Addison because her head blocked everything).
- 4:30PM: Exam revealed little progress again--4 cm, 80% effaced, -1 station. We realized we maybe in for another all nighter. Knowing that and knowing I was already a generally more tired person than when we had Addison (chasing a young toddler will do that to you) we started to consider an epidural. The pain is manageable but---contractions were finally getting intense.
***Here is where it gets interesting, but a bit graphic. Stop reading if you don't want to be grossed out**
- 6:00PM: Although they did not check me yet, I asked for the epidural. It was ALL back labor and I knew I could not endure it all night AND push. I realize now----I was in transition, the most painful part of labor. At the time, I did not think we had gotten to that part yet so I THOUGHT the worst was yet to come.
- 7:00PM: When the anesthesiologist arrived I complaining that I thought I needed to GO to the bathroom (and not pee). I mentioned it several times but they all kinda ignored me so we did not push it. THEY DID NOT CHECK MY PROGRESS. As soon as the epidural was in, Matthew ran down the street to get us a movie from Red Box since we were assured nothing was progressing fast.
- 8:00PMish: For those of you who do not know, when you have an epidural you have a catheter in place, but that is just for urine. So I asked the nurse could you do the other bathroom with an Epidural in and not know it. She laughed and said no, then she went about her business. Matthew returned with a movie and I told him I REALLY need to go to the bathroom. When the nurse returned I complained again about it.....so.....she checked and I had gone. She was puzzled since this never happened to her before. Scratching her head she decided to check me.....HE WAS CROWNING!!!!!!!!
- 8:15PM: Nurse said not to move since they were worried he would come right out on his own. The midwife JUST came on the floor and happen to check in on us first, good thing!!
- 8:45PM: Start pushing.....5 pushes later.......
- 8:55PM: Matthew says "IT'S A BOY!!!!!" and gives me a high five :)
Caleb had a little trouble clearing his lungs since he came out so fast, so he was VERY blue for a while when he came out; they had to suction him. After the suction, he was fine!
All in all it was a great experience. In the end, the nurse and midwife agreed, I was actually probably ready to push at the time I got the epidural. Oh well, he probably came out faster with the epidural in. And did I mention how ridiculous I am for worrying about his size??? Just goes to show, it's a guessing game.
We love our little Manna from Heaven, Caleb Asher and big sister does too. We anticipate the first few months to be challenging with two children so young, but in a few months routines will even out and we will all learn how to be a family of four. Please continue to pray for us as we make this transition over the coming weeks and months. Please remember Addison specifically as you pray, she is still a baby herself and this is an emotional time for her. So far, the tears have been minimal thanks to my wonderful, compassionate understanding, loving and patient husband. His mother is also here helping and let's just say I know where Matthew gets all the qualities I just listed. I am so grateful.
More stories and pictures of Caleb and big sister Addison soon.....
Congrats Grant gang!!! And can I say you look AMAZING during delivery!!! Seriously :)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe that 9 pounder only took 5 pushes!!! Good job!! LOL :) Did the epidural have time to kick in? I'm going to really try to hold off on the epidural for as long as possible this time, too. And hopefully I won't have to get pitocin this time since my labor with G went so fast, but we'll see. He is so adorable!! I'm glad Addison is adjusting well! I am a little worried about how Graham will adjust, too. If Claire was a boy, we were going to name him Asher James! What was your girl name? Congrats again on your sweet baby boy, so happy for y'all!!!
ReplyDeleteLove this! Thank you for sharing Caleb's story. One of the things I love and fear the most when it comes to birth is the way that every story is perfectly unique. Praise the Lord for a healthy, fastish delivery! Will be praying for Addison!!
ReplyDeleteOh i never responded to this....the girl name was Sydney Faith :) Maybe I will keep a hold of it for a while
ReplyDelete