Friday, January 11, 2013

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mom: Ups and downs

I was just telling a friend a few days ago how much fun I have been having with my kids lately; they are fun ages I think. Just when you think you have everything figured out and can come up for air, something changes. I should know better than to share about the fun filled life; inevitable as soon as those words pass thru my lips life gives me an unexpected bump. Would wallowing in the bad moments (they are in fact rare honestly) mean the fun would never end? Some how reverse psychology does not apply here, bummer.

First, as I reflect on the last several weeks of bliss I realize I have done a few things differently (well different than I did since Caleb was born and more like when it was just Addison--back when I was still sane, ha):

-much more structured day beyond just meal and sleep times
-I worked out nearly everyday
-I napped about 75% of the time, only 20 minutes or so but a nap
-did two week meal plans
-asked for help
-PLAYED with my kids (vs cleaning or teaching or being busy with other things)
-took breaks and got out of the house when needed

And the downs.....oh Nebraska germs how I loathe thee. I realize germs are everywhere they were born in DC germs not Nebraska germs. I won't deviate into that discussion but sickness strikes again. Most of our illnesses start as allergies and hang around long enough to turn into an illness. Addison and Caleb have had colds coming on for a while now and Caleb's immune system finally gave up over the past week...he has a double ear infection, fever, chest congestion, runny nose, etc. Addison hasn't been much better but she has a very high tolerance for pain whereas Caleb has zero. Oh and Caleb's teeth saga continues. Molars and incisors are cutting. He gets them so slow.
All the sickness and teeth has caused a sleep deprived, fussy mess of a Caleb. Which makes me irritable with Addison. Sigh.

I HATE it when they are in pain or are sick. I am totally helpless and I think that's he root of all the downs that we/i have experienced. I wish sometimes I could make myself not care as much.

I confess, today I wallowed for a few moments in the down but tomorrow is a new day. A new day full of the potential for UP'S!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment