Sunday, July 7, 2013

Chore Chart

Why have a three year old do chores? We do have a goal in mind!!!! We wanted to encourage Addison (and eventually our other kid--kids, hopefully one day) to contribute to the family...to a group...as well as have individual responsibilities. I grabbed a fantastic nugget from "on becoming child wise" to not only give your children chores that teach them individual responsibility (make your bed, clean your room, etc.---those things all "benefit" just Addison) but teaches them the importance of contributing to the group (set the table, vacuum, take out the trash, etc). I would have arrived at chores with this variety without the book but I would not have identified the important difference between the team aspect. It's so simple but so important and so easy to glaze over without helping connect the dots for our little ones.

Anyways........funny moment of the whole chore chart: I introduce it as a "chore chart" and Addison tears up and says "mommy, I don't want you to be the mean step mother and make me do chores like Cinderella". LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

After I explain that these are fun tasks to help me.....Addison has LOVED putting her chore "stickers" up each day as she finishes her tasks each day. The stickers are just laminated pieces of paper with Velcro on the back so we can take them off each week. On Saturday, we count them and if she has 20 (she loves counting them too), she gets some coins for her coin jar!!!!! She loves adding coins and counting them and shaking them.

The sweetest thing was she said "mommy I am going to buy Caleb a car with my coins." She thought of him first :)

Next learning opportunity is taking the jar full of coins and giving some to God first.

Hope this keeps up....it's more work for me to have her "help" but it's a great learning time!







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. ok- the Cinderella's stepmother comment has me rolling laughing!! My girls love that movie and always talk about how mean the stepmother is...too funny!

    I think chores are great! My girls have been doing chores for some time now. Reese makes her bed and is only 4. R&E both put their sorted laundry up. All three unload the dishwasher. They love to sweep but it isn't anything productive yet.

    Way to go momma! great job :)

    ReplyDelete