Friday, July 12, 2013

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mom: Ignorance

Ignorance is not the same as stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. For example, I am ignorant about all things medical that I have not experienced personally. I could learn it and thus-good bye ignorance. Stupidity is lacking intelligence or common sense. I look at stupidity as you nearly choose to not to accept the common sense. To me, stupidity is chosen. Ignorance is not.

Here's the confession part.....

I overheard a conversation today at the park from someone I have to hope is ignorant. The park was busy today; daycares, individuals and clearly stay at home mommies with play groups all gathered to entertain kids. (Kids should I mention that like myself were stuck in a winter that lasted 6 months---we are all desperate to be outside no matter the cost). I can only assume this person was a daycare worker/owner a) based on the number and diversity of kids she had in tow and b) the conversation that ensued.It was more of a ranting monologue as the other parties in the "conversation" nodded heads more than participated.

"Look at these women. All these women who ain't workin' and never been workin'. It must be nice to not be a working mom. I wish I didn't have to be a working mom. I want to sit around at the park all day or just do nothin like that."

Does anyone actually think staying at home is easy? And she's running a daycare, shouldn't she know that taking care of kids is not nothing!? This is a soapbox I realize but come on....are you serious? Clearly the fact that some days I don't change out of pjs means I did nothing but watch tv right? I instantly thought: I had a very successful career and that was cake compared to what I do now. What I do now has eternal value. Sales communications, sales reports, sales contents, sales process is easy street. Easy street. Again, soap box but please tell me people don't actually think this? Ignorance right? She just doesn't know a real stay at home mom right? It's got to be the case. It must.
I should have joined in and rebutted "must be nice to have a job. And be paid. To sit at the park and do nothing".


3 comments:

  1. Oh Kelly. I know. I was so much better as my old job than I am being a stay at home mom. This is so hard! For those who look down on stay-at-home moms, I just wonder how they feel about the people who are taking care of their kids while they work? Why would they leave them with people that they look down on? I completely respect working moms, so this is not a working vs. non working moms thing, but they should have some respect for people who take care of kids all day be they SAHMs or day care/school workers. Its tough managing other living beings all day, not to mention MULTIPLE living beings all day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often told my stay at home mom friends how LUCKY they are to be able to stay at home, because I won't ever be able to do that full time. I don't mean "lucky" that in an ignorant way, because I had a stay at home mom and I KNOW what a sacrifice it is and how many hats have to be worn! Even though I'm a teacher and have two months "off", I still feel overwhelmed sometimes during a normal work day, being with other people's children, thinking of all of the things at home I would like to be able to take care of. People who honestly think stay at home moms have it easy boggle my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I wished you would have rebutted!!! I cannot begin to express how hard choosing to stay at home versus a career has been. Or even more - how hard staying at home really is! Before this transition in my life I had never viewed staying at home as "hard". Rather, I viewed it as "easy... a break". Oh, how I am WRONG! Hats off to SAHMs!!

    ReplyDelete