Saturday, January 11, 2014

Confessions of a stay at home mom: Do I shine?


Matthew 5:14-16
14 "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.
15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.
16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

As I read this scripture this morning I started to ask myself a few things: do I let my light shine so others can see Christ in me? Do my children see my light? Is it even bright enough for anyone to see? And I am not talking about, do people know I love god because I go to church or say it with my mouth. Anyone can do that!!!! A monkey can do that. I am talking about, does MY LIFE show Christ is the center? Do my actions (like the scripture talks about) bring him glory? Those last two things a monkey can't do.

I get so caught up in life. Sometimes it's the loveliness of life I am caught up in. Sometimes it's the gross parts I get caught up in. Either way I find myself waiting for the next "thing". Even if the next "thing" is only Friday--when I finally have a little help at "work". I wait for the next "thing" so much that I sometimes forget to tend to my light, that is my spiritual life. So I asked myself this morning, how can I make my life shine more? Give more? Do more? Love more?

First I have to pause more. I have to stop beings so busy waiting for the the next thing. I have to take captive every moment! Those quiet moments is ALWAYS when I hear The Father quietly telling me how to shine!

Second I have to listen more. Not only to my Heavenly Father but everyone around me. I can't possibly be a light to others and minister to them if I don't shut up. This is hard for me, I AM CHATTY! I can only shine if I listen to the needs of others, including my three loves!

Third, I have to give and serve. I must serve more. Serving more and listening more go hand and hand for me. I have to listen better to hear better what others need. Christ came to serve. This is the best way for me to shine for him--serve like him. My husband is so good at this.

I often wonder if people can see Christ in me. Do I exude his love and peace? Yikes. That's a scary question. My hearts desire is shine for him in all things. I want it to be evident to anyone who sees me or knows me---He is in my life.

Work in progress. Work in progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment