The usual green shirt I use for these profile pictures doesn't fit over the giant tummy anymore :)
This week marks 32 weeks, which means only 8 weeks left until D-Day (due date). The 31 week doctor visit did not reveal anything of noteworthy value except my iron is low. Low iron has always been a struggle for me, so now I am trying to EAT MORE COWS (sorry Chick-Fil-A). It was a fun visit since Matthew was able to come!!!
Although the 31 week visit was uneventful, this past weekend/early week was a little more "exciting". Many of you know I came down with a stomach virus early Sunday morning. After sickness all day, I called our doctor just to let them know I was possibly dehydrated. They instructed us to come into the Hospital (where we are delivering) to get IV fluids and make sure it was nothing more than a stomach virus. IV fluids are fairly typical when you are pregnant, so Matthew and I took our time getting to the hospital, did not let Piper our to potty and only brought the bare necessities with us.
We checked into the hospital, got the IV going and Matthew and started to chat. The hospital was very quite that night. In fact, there was only one nurse on staff in the area we were in because it was so slow that night. The second nurse was about to head home early. Suddenly, I got very faint and HOT. The nurse heard me telling Matthew what was wrong and the next thing I know....I have an oxygen mask on, I am lying on left side and there are SEVEN people in our tiny exam room (3 nurses, my midwife, my doctor, the anesthesiologist and Matthew).
"The heartrate dropped. Find it again. Come on Baby!" is all I hear. Everyone is moving me around---left side, back, right side, hands and knees---desperately trying to find the heartbeat. Holding Matthew's hand, all I focused on was listening to instructions and breathing normally. I knew there was absolutley nothing I could do, so why stress?
The heartbeat was finally located but it was in the 200's (which is too high), so the doctor and anesthesiologist informed us an emergency c-section might be the only solution.....which was followed by a GIANT steroid shot. As they were telling me all this I just looked into Matthew's peaceful eyes and resolved---God IS in control.
They decided to monitor me in labor and delivery for 48 hours and if there was another deceleration we would deliver. They placed me on continuous monitoring, gave me another giant steroid shot and gave Matthew a tiny couch to sleep on :) Praise the Lord, the baby did not have any other decelerations and baby is still safe and sound in my tummy. The doctors are not sure what cause the deceleration, perhaps just "Blessing's" reaction to my illness. I was released on Tuesday and have just today started to feel back to my normal self, whew!
It's amazing how God grants us the peace and strength we need in intense moments. Honestly, I do not think I have been more calm in my life. I knew it was all in His hands. Not to mention, I was reminded of how blessed we are. Our new church family here in VA sent us prayers, flowers and phone calls of encouragement. Kenneth and Amber were such a blessing too---they looked after my baby Piper while we were in the hospital. Matthew and I appreciated all the help, visitors, prayers and phone calls; we could not be more blessed, I mean it!
Random funny--we had a few ultrasounds while in the hospital (NO WE DID NOT SEE THE GENDER) and they said a) Blessing is 4.5 lbs already and b) it has a big head (OUCH)---ha!! Bring on our big Blessing :)
If this is the first you are hearing about the 32 week doozie, do not feel bad----we tried not to share much information until we had GOOD NEWS as not to worry our family and friends. So now, we have good news----ALL IS WELL :) :) :)
The 33 week appointment is Monday afternoon and hopefully we will learn how the 32 week doozie will effect our birthing plans/options (if at all). Who knows, maybe "Blessing" will come a few days early after getting "pumped up" on steroids.
Please pray that "Blessing" continues to grow strong and healthy and stay inside as long as necessary to be fully developed. We love our "Blessing" already and cannot wait to meet little Addison Joy or Joshua Mikell!!!!!!
SO Glad that everything is "back to normal"...and that you were granted peace during that stressful time! Addison is a BEAUTIFUL name, by the way :)
ReplyDeleteOh my, Kelly! I am so thankful that everyone is ok and Blessing gets to go to nearly full term :). God IS good! I will absolutely lift you, Matthew, and Blessing up in prayer tonight.
ReplyDeleteLove the names! We cannot wait to see the newest little Mikell family baby!
ReplyDeleteJesus said, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace." John 16:33
ReplyDeleteThank you, Lord.
I forgot to tell you that I do remember the Addison Joy in our discussions, and I also remember the Mikel...with the 'kel' ;) Joshua is new to me :) I like the names!!!
ReplyDelete