Saturday, August 7, 2010

Homemade Baby Oatmeal Cereal Food-Take One (Day One)

Today we made our own baby oatmeal cereal and Addison ate it for the first time! Watch out, because I think she FINALLY enjoys eating!!! Only time will tell if her tummy handles the oatmeal well...hopefully it does. See videos, pictures and instructions on making cereal below!

Day One Summary:
  • Nursed one side for 6 minutes
  • Ate 1 tablespoon-ish of oatmeal cereal (see instructions on how to home make it below); she ate it well and was opening her mouth for more--this means SUCCESS!!!
  • Nursed other side 4 minutes (and would not take a supplement bottle--so she was full)
  • Offered it at one meal, noon.
  • She loved it...THIS time. Opened her mouth for the spoon after the first couple of times and smiled LOTS :)
Changes for tomorrow:
  • We will nurse on both sides THEN do the food, because I think she liked the food more than nursing.
  • Today we gave her closer to one tablespoon of cereal. Tomorrow, we will give her a little more, closer to 2 tablespoons.
  • Today I made the oatmeal and saved a little for the tomorrow in the fridge. I am going to use the refrigerated cereal tomorrow and see if that works.

Her First Bites of Food!! Look at her diving after the spoon after the first few bites.


Watch her face at the end of this video...smiles proudly at her eating abilities, then looks up at Daddy feeding her....priceless.

Daddy feeding her and she was excited!

All done...and looking confused!

It's easy to make your own cereal and the best part---no additives, its all natural!

Step 1: Grind raw 100% whole oats (becomes oat powder)
Step 2: Combine 1/8 cup oat powder and 3/8 cups water in small sauce pan
(we will increase the ingredient amounts proportionately as she eats more cereal)

Step 3: Stirring constantly, bring to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes
Step 4: Separate about desired and add breast milk until cereal reaches desired consistency (amount the consistency of Cream of Wheat). Serve Warm. *
Step 5: FED HER!!! We gave her about 1-2 tablespoons to start with.


*I allowed the oatmeal to cool since I made it ahead of the feeding. Once I was ready to feed her, I popped it in the mircrowave for about 15 seconds to reheat, then added the milk to make it the proper consistency. We had to mash and mix it with a fork to get the mixture reconstituted, but I think it worked fine. There were still a few chunks, but thats ok---I think it helped her keep it in her mouth better. BUT we will see how her tummy feels.

2 comments:

  1. Two words: Angel. Baby. :) That is so exciting, I'm so proud of Addison!!! Isla and I watched it together, I'm hoping it inspires her, HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I never thought of making my own cereal! We did rice cereal, guess it is different than oat...? Seems easy enough!

    ReplyDelete