As a I take a moment to reflect on 2009, I realize how rich, full and blessed our lives are. 2009 brought along changes, surprises, laughter and tears. 2009 was the year I truly realized how important it is to hold the ones we love close (family AND friends) to our hearts, relish each moment with them and appreciate everything about them.
You may think I am a sap as you read all this, but that's ok---maybe I am. Either way, here are some of the highlights and the BLESSINGS associated with them!
Our Wedding: With our engagement on 12.22.08, we rang in the 2009 New Year with wedding planning in full swing. A quick courtship followed by a quick engagement meant all hands were on deck! My mother gets every shred of credit for the absolutely flawless, beautiful, elegant dream wedding she created for us on May 9, 2009 in Natchez, MS. All that mattered to Matthew and I was having our closest family and friends be part of the second most important day of our lives (the first being when we accepted Christ as our savior). We were honored to have each person there. For me, the moment I committed myself to Matthew for the rest of my life---I felt like I was complete. Thank you again to each of you for sharing that day with us, I will cherish it always and will never forget each face I saw as Matthew and I became husband and wife.
- Blessing-a husband grounded in his faith with the most selfless, patient and loving spirit.
- Blessing-our families expanded to include some of the most wonderful people in the world.
- Blessing-friends and family who consistently encourage and inspire us.
- Blessing-loving, supportive and diverse family members who always keep a smile on my face!
Matthew's good friend Chris Evans also got married in June in Clinton, MS. It was wonderful to see his entire crew of friends together again and as groom/groomsmen. Many of Matthew's best friends have been his friends since childhood or high school and I truly enjoy watching them all in one place at one time. Although they are each in different phases of life and live in different places, each time they are together it is like they pick right back up where they left off.
- Blessing-faithful, enduring friendships with a foundation in the Lord.
- Blessing-a precious baby safely born to wonderful Godly parents.
- Blessing-being a witness to God's absolute LOVE for us through miracle of life as LC grows and thrives!!
Although it was a huge surprise, we can truly give all the glory to God that this was in HIS plan and HIS timing. God has been preparing us for parenthood the last 6 months and it has been an amazing journey! We feel honored that God has given us this little Blessing. We pray each night that we will devote this child to the Lord and lean on him for all the guidance we need as parents.
- Blessing-being part of God's huge and glorious plan. WOW, that is all I can say!
NASA and Regions: Before even finding out we were pregnant, Matthew started his job search since he was expected to graduate in December 2009. He applied for a few federal government positions and did not hear a response for months. Meanwhile, we learn we are pregnant. All in God's perfect timing, in mid-sept---Matthew got a call for an interview with NASA for his DREAM job in Washington D.C. AND I took a temporary job assignment to work for a non-profit on behalf of Regions. We learn the job assignment is through Thanksgiving which will prove to be a huge blessing later on. NASA asked Matthew to begin work before the semester but yet again God had a glorious plan---and worked it out so that Matthew could begin his new career AND finish school. The only downside....Matthew and I would have to live apart for two months.
The two months were challenging for us---Newlyweds, expecting a baby (which equals uncharacteristically emotional Kelly), selling a house AND moving across the country. Matthew was the ROCK through it all. I had a very smooth transition out of my career with Regions as a result of the temporary job assignment and was able to spend Thanksgiving with my family. God had it all perfectly planned.
- Blessing-learning that God's plan does not always unfold when and how we expect but that whatever it is 1) He is faithful and will take care of it and 2) His plan is PERFECT!
- Blessing-Matthew got his dream job
- Blessing-selling the house before leaving Birmingham.
- Blessing-support and prayers of our family, friends and each other as we begin our new adventure in D.C.
- Blessing-UAB and Matthew's professors worked with him to make this possible, without them he would not have been able to finish at UAB! Their partnership to help graduate is blessing that will keep on giving!
Moving to Washington D.C: We found a wonderful suburb and church all in close proximity to the metro! The apartment we ended up selecting was truly discovered on accident and it is the BEST one of all the ones we saw--and we saw about 15 in one weekend!!! Although it is a bit of an adjustment going from a house to an apartment, but it did not take long for us to settle in!
- Blessing-GOD PROVIDES!!!
- Blessing-a church family and friends already!
2009 lived up to its name--THE BESTEST, but I know in 2010--it will just keep getting better! So, 2010 will be dubbed "2010, It Just Keeps Getting Better".
Happy New Year to all--I hope and pray this year blesses each of you who read this really long blog!!
Bring on 2010 and the Grant baby!! Love to you all!!



2009 - What a year. Kelly, I am so proud of you as a daughter and tickled to have Matthew join our family. You are going to be wonderful parents.
ReplyDelete