As of Friday, September 24, 2010 I will officially be a stay at home mommy and wife. Some of you may not know that when I moved to D.C. I took a part time job with a hospital. After Addison was born they allowed me to work from home as a "consultant" of sorts. I gladly accepted this opportunity! I thought that I would need the intellectual stimulation AND I felt like I would be lazy by not having a job. All the income I had been making we have been saving anyways, so it was really just for my sanity.
As with any difficult decision I toiled over the decision for a long time and am filled with a mixture of emotions. I struggled with wondering what people would think if I didn't work??!! A very wise person (my mom) encouraged me to do what was best for my family's unique situation and also shared that being a stay at home mom IS hard work and far from lazy. My pen pal (Stori) encouraged me to evaluate the reasons I was working and prayerfully consider the situation. After Matthew and I discussed it and prayed over it, I realized that although working was nice---it was not what was best for us RIGHT NOW. I guess I had to be "weened" off working. I went from high powered all about my career for 5 years, to working part time, to working from home, to stay at home mom. I praise God for the opportunity to "ween" me instead of giving it up "cold turkey", my how our God knows us so well!!!!!
Until recently, I felt like stay at home mommyhood came with sacrifices too, namely my career and "possessions" but when I look at Addison and I see her developing so beautifully I realized those are NOT sacrifices. Sacrifice assumes you give something up, but in our situation staying home gives us everything!!!!!
Throughout this journey I also realized I cannot be EXCELLENT at everything and I must choose carefully what I would like to become excellent at. I cannot be the best worker, mom, wife, friend, daughter, bible study leader, etc. I can only be excellent at what I focus on so I had to cut somethings out. Working was one of them. Furthermore, I want to spend my time on things that have eternal value right now. I desire to guide Addison into a becoming a Proverbs 31 woman, to a woman that loves the Lord, a woman that puts people first and herself last....etc.
God blessed Matthew and I with our surprise blessing, Addison, and I want to relish each moment we have with her! What an awesome calling God placed on my life to be at home with her! Although I know it will not always be easy to stay at home, I am happy that we are following his will. I am confident God will always provide financially, emotionally and physically as we seek to follow his will.
Staying at home is not for everyone and is not the best for every family's unique situation. This decision was best for the Grant Gang and may not be what fits our reader's unique situation or God's calling our reader's lives. All we hope and pray is that our readers seek and follow God's will, whatever that maybe!!!
Congrats on being a stay at home mommy! Your mom is right- it IS hard work and far from lazy!! You will be able to teach Addison so much more this way :) Enjoy every minute of it!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!!! I know its a hard choice to make, but you are investing all of your energy into Little Addison and she is going to last FOREVER :).
ReplyDeleteYey Kelly!!! This is great news! Yes, Stori is a wise counsel for sure, as is Mama Mia!!! So happy to hear this news. I know you likely have an ounce or two of you that misses working, but I know that is far outdone by putting your time, effort, and energy into sweet Addison. Love you three!
ReplyDeleteWell said! Love you.
ReplyDeleteYeah, the mom job is far from lazy. When your kid is tiny, it is a constant job. Enjoy your new career. :)
ReplyDelete