We spent a week decorating a box to contain the pacis. We told her that one night we would put her pacis in the box and the paci fairy would visit and take them to baby girls who do not have any pacis. In exchange for Addison's kindness to the baby girls, the fairy would bring her a very special prize. Addison really took to the concept of baby girls getting her old pacis. She still requests to see them, hug them and kiss them.
With great excitement, she placed the pacis in the box and closed the lid. She paused and realized they were realized they were gone and instantly requested them. The tears started. "I changed my mind, no fairy please" and even in her most non whinning voice "May I have my paci please?". It broke my heart to see her sad, but as with anything the key is to stand firm. She had her other comfort items (snuggle blanket and baby doll). We kissed her and said we would be back in 10 minutes to check on her. She cried. After 10 minutes we walked in, kissed her and left. Crying continued. 10 minutes later, we walked in, kissed her and left. No discussions. We repeated it one more time. She cried 40 minutes then was asleep until 830 am the next morning.
The next morning she woke up to lip gloss and a baby doll stroller. She has not stopped pushing that thing around since.
Nap time the next day was a doozie as I imagined it would be. She cried for about an hour before going to sleep. Since it was nap time we did not continue to check on her.
Over the course of three more days the crying became less and less. By day 4, everything was back to normal. I did not expect it to go that well honestly, but I am thankful it did. She still talks about the fairy and she is very concerned about her dolls and Caleb having a paci, but she NEVER asks for hers. I am so proud of her--always thinking of others.
Would I change the timing of the whole thing? NOPE. Not a chance. We did what was right for HER given all the changes going on in her little short life.
We had to paint rocks too :)
No comments:
Post a Comment