So we started the weaning process from nursing exclusively to cows milk in a cup right at 11 months (I am authoring a special blog about weaning and what went right and wrong soon, so more details on the entire process to come, this is just an excitement blog).
I had in my head we would slowly move to the cup over the course of a month eliminating one of four nursing periods at a time, leaving the bedtime feeding intact until about 13-14 months. Addison's desire to drink milk from a cup has been up and down; she was holding out for that bedtime nursing period. SO...we moved to bottle only with expressed/frozen milk. As soon as we did that----she started taking less and less at night.....two nights ago she only took an ounce.
Last night we gave her the cup and no bottle. She did not even notice. I was totally surprised that she eliminated it pretty much on her own.
AND yesterday she drank about 10 oz of cows milk from her cup---thats a record!!!!!! For everyone reading this, believe me when I tell you she gets PLENTY of dairy and fats in ways other than milk (lentils, cheese, yogurt, avocados, eggs, etc.). She has a diverse lil pallet thanks to Super Baby Food and wholesomebabyfood.com
I admit I was forced to get over my pride a bit since I realized my stockpile of breast milk will not all get used. I plan to use it in cereal, but much of it will go unused. However, I reminded myself that all the pumping allowed me to nurse this long AND nurse while I was pregnant---all with no supply issues.
I am so proud of Addison and all her growing up!!!!! I cannot wait to see what is coming up next!! Stay tuned for a review of the weaning process!
Can Addison drink the rest of the breast milk from a cup?
ReplyDeleteWe could, but she hates the frozen milk regardless of the way she gets it--bottle or cup. Wah wah wah :(
ReplyDeleteHi Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you've ever heard of milk banks, but if you don't want your milk to go completely to waste then you could look into donating your milk to them.
I'm not exactly sure about their screening process or anything like that but I bet its worth looking into!
That is awesome you still have milk stored! I second the milk bank comment. The hospital in our area takes milk for the milk bank in Austin. That stuff is liquid gold!
ReplyDelete