Matthew wanted to surprise me for our date, but because of what we were doing he spilled the beans a few days early. We went into D.C. for dinner, to see a 90 minute rendition of William Shakespeare's King Lear and dessert!!! He shared it with me early so I could re-familiarize myself with the play and trust me I am glad I did!
The Drive: After the babysitter arrived at 6 pm, we dashed out the door thinking we would have at least 1.5 hours to eat before the 8 PM show. We had planned on eating and parking just a block away from the theatre, so we had plenty of time......until......TRAFFIC. Um...we were NORTHBOUND into D.C....what's up with traffic???
The Fun Surprise: After we got into D.C. and saw all the red, white and blue appeal, we knew the reason for the traffic, a Caps game and a playoffs game at that! All the fans and road blocks caused us not to be able to park until about 7:10....that was 50 minutes until the show!!! We walked/jogged around looking for somewhere to eat and just decided to keep it simple and BK it up!!
It sounds silly we were all dressed up and eating at Burger King and I think it bothered Matthew, but I loved it. It was SO us. We had fun sharing french fries and coke and just laughing about the whole situation. I loved it. Loved it. The best part was Matthew bought some food for a homeless lady. He is ALWAYS thinking of others.
The Show: Next...the show!! It was a silent, dark comedic take on King Lear. In fact, everyone was dressed as clowns. Not silly circus clowns, but crazy awesome modern and dark clowns. It was AMAZING!!! I loved that it was silent!! And as with most Shakespeare plays for me, I actually understood more watching than reading. Shakespeare always has characters disguised and it tends to jump around. I still love reading it, but nothing tops seeing it preformed!

Dessert: We stopped by a little cupcake shop and after toasting the cupcakes---we called it an evening. D.C. shuts down at night and so do the suburbs, so there is not much to do past 10 pm. It is very strange to me.
All in all, I loved my date. Every moment. It was perfect and perfect for us. These evenings alone happen once in a blue moon, in fact I think we have only gone out a handful of times since Addison was born so I cherish these evenings. It sure was a fun adventure and I cannot wait to do it again, hopefully soon :)
That sounds like SOOOOO much fun!!! I'm so glad you got a special night out with your hubby on your birthday :).
ReplyDelete