Tuesday, July 26, 2011

All Day Date

On Sunday, Matthew and I were able to have a very rare all day date while Addison played with Mia and Papa.

Total Time: 10:30 am - 10:30 pm
Total Distance: 5 miles minimum walking (without all the back tracking we did to check out restaurants)
Notable Locations: Fords Theater, National Museum of American History, Mr. Smith's Restaurant, Georgetown Cupcakes, King Street (Various Shops)
Temperature: Approximately 95-97 degrees

Morning: Starbucks and Ford's Theater

No perfect morning is complete without Starbucks, however I could have done without one of my pregnancy nose bleeds while we walked there :)

Waiting for our tour to begin...with coffee and a bloody nose!!!

Ford's Theater was awesome! We had about 30-40 minutes to view the museum which was followed by a Park Ranger presentation outlining the entire timeline of the evening President Lincoln was assassinated. I felt like we were able to read about 75% of the material in the museum before we had to watch the presentation. This is one of my top favorite "touristy" things we have done since moving here.

View of the theater.

Lincoln's box seat.
The door leading to Lincoln's box seat that Booth accessed (and blocked) to assassinate Lincoln.

Early Afternoon: National Museum of American History

After taking a brief detour to walk past the J. Edgar Hoover FBI Building, we headed to the museum. We enjoyed all the displays, but were less interested in reading every single sign like we were at Ford's Theater. We even saw the hope diamond!


Entrance to the museum

Hope Diamond

Gift Shop Fun :)

Do I look like the statue?

Mid Afternoon: Georgetown

Next we walked several blocks towards Georgetown before deciding to experience a cab ride together. The cab dropped us off just inside Georgetown and we walked up and down M Street deciding on a place to eat a late lunch. We settled on Mr. Smith's; Matthew had been there with work once but when I saw the menu included BRUNCH, I was IN!!!!

None of our dates are complete without a randomly strange incident....

As we read over the menu, the waitress clearning the table behind us dropped a glass on the brick floor which shaddered everywhere, including the back of my legs! It did not hurt, but I had several knicks on my legs and was dripping blood. We felt horrible for the waitress...I mean...pregnant lady gets hit with glass???? I created a small flood in the bathroom trying to hoist my legs to the sink to rinse my legs of glass; I am surprised I did not slip with my now massive baby belly!!! All was well and we had a good laugh--the poor waitress apoligzed several times.

Matthew had a chipotle burger with guacamole on it and I had a spinach and mushroom quiche with side salad. It was YUMMY...they even comp'ed us for my meal.

We meandered our way to Georgetown Cupcake to see if there was a line to partake in the ridiculously famous yet expensive and tiny cupcakes. I was not willing to wait more than 5 minutes and the line looked longer than that, so we moved on.

Random courtyard as we walked through Georgetown

Proof we made it there, even if we did not want to wait in the crazy line for a cupcake!

A chocolate shop we stopped in...what pregnant lady can resist??

Afternoon to Evening: Georgetown Walk and HARRY POTTER

We walked from Georgetown to jump on a metro to head to see the final Harry Potter movie. It was GREAT and so was the movie theater popcorn!!!! Matthew and I LOVE LOVE movies, so this was a particularly special part of the date!

Evening to Night: King Street Walk

We took the trolley from the King Street metro all the way to the water then walked back (little over 1.6 miles one way) toward the metro looking for a place to have a little appetizer as our dinner. A tiny hole in the wall Italian place caught our attention and we were pleasantly surprised with the menu selection. We ordered a salad, anti pasto and Matthew got cheesecake. It was light yet delicious.


The evening ended with a slow walk back to the metro which took us home. It was truly a wonderful day in every way. I loved every moment, mishap, movie, drop of sweat, site, morsel of food....everything was perfect. Days like this are not only necessary but also so sweet. Since we are not able to do it too often, I think it makes us appreciate days like this anymore. I love spending time with Matthew!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment