Sunday, September 23, 2012

Confessions of a Stay at Home Mom: Its Official. I Am A Mom

I was not fully initiated into motherhood until last weekend when the first stomach bug hit a Grant Gang kid and I was forced to handle it---alone. Just a few days after Matthew's departure are when symptoms began to appear and they did not fully subside until two days before his return.  He missed all the stomach bug fun! Before this lovely initiation exercise, I only thought I was a real mommy--NOT SO.  I feel like I have seen most of the fun and not so fun mommy experiences.

For those of you who know me well, you know I have a HUGE phobia of throw up.  I get light headed, racing heart, everything when I hear, smell or even think about puke.  I remember asking my mom "What will I do when I have kids that puke, I won't be able to handle it!".  Like many mothers speaking to inexperienced mothers or mothers to be she responded with "It is different with when it is your own child".  I assured her she was incorrect in this particular instance.  As is frequently the case---she was right :)

Matthew left on a Sunday and by the following Wednesday Addison's eating was very off.  She was putting up a fight eating, not eating much (VERY unlike her), being picky, etc.  After being up in the morning for only an hour she was begging for a nap.  I chalked it up to Daddy being gone....I was wrong.  By Friday, she was eating next to nothing.  And Saturday, lower stomach symptoms appeared and Sunday morning my biggest fear became a reality--she threw up!!!!!!!!!  My mom was right, it was much different than I expected.  I did not flip out.  Instead I was calm.  All I could think about was 1) she is terrified 2) she is confused 3) I want to do anything and everything to make her feel better and more comfortable 4) please do not let Caleb crawl into it.  Since it is a phobia for me, I got an adrenaline rush which made me get shaky, LOL!!!  I immediately called MY mom to see what to do hahahaha!!!

Addison's appetite was not back until the following Thursday and when it came back---BOY did it come back.  Since then she has literally been eating non stop.  She has fully recovered aside from some lingering potty training issues that popped up from being sick.  It was bad timing because potty trips was JUST becoming a non event to her.

I am thankful she is better---it broke my heart to see her sick for over a week.  She is almost 2.5 years old and this is the first REAL illness that she has had.  The rest has been little colds here and there (which probably really started with bad allergies).  THANK YOU BREASTFEEDING--I BELIEVE IN IT!!!! So far Caleb, my brother or I has not gotten sick.  After hearing news of two food product recalls that Addison ate, think this may have been salmonella poisoning.  Honestly---who knows and who cares because we have our healthy Addison back!!!

Sunday Morning just before the puke :(

My pukey princess...she has a different shirt on than she did in the picture above, can you guess why? 

Little plain toast hoping it would stay down

Caleb's quarantine
Notice the vacuum and resolve in the background

Puke bucket doesn't do much good like that

He still seems fine!!

Fresh air and coloring always makes you feel better


1 comment:

  1. What a nightmare it can be to handle all that stress and sickness on your own! It makes you stronger, that's for sure! Caleb was such a trooper in quarantine :)

    ReplyDelete